Thursday, May 29, 2008

Granite Countertop Stove

chiefofsurgery @ 2008-05-29T20: 27:00

NOTE: This post contains Nicole, around half an interlude written by Dr Dubenko BGG. Happy reading!


> NICOLE \u0026lt;
"Lucien", screaming while sucking up the stairs my strawberry ice cream, "Lucien, would you like some ice cream? There are only two, one orange and the other al-"I'm coming lock the front door wide open chamber Lucien. "Oops! Excuse me ... "
"Oh, no, quiet, Nic. What do you say? "She asks while Lucien, shirtless, looking at the mirror that hangs on the wall of his room.
"Wondering if you like ice cream. But ... what are you doing? "
" Yuck ... "borobotta.
"What?", I entered.
"Look at that, but you see how I'm fat?"
"Fat?" He exclaimed. "Lucien, but what-"
"Look! Look! "Complains putting in profile. "They are wider than long!"
"What?"
"But you see that belly!?" Do
another lick the ice cream and shake my head. "You're totally out, Lucien! Look, you're not fat at all! "
him anything, he shakes his head and puts her hands in her hair. "How bad ... I'm getting old"
"You're not fat at all, Lucien, and even old! And that's not the belly, are your abs! "I repeat. "Then he looks," says resting her hands on her hips, "You do not even love handles! You're perfect! "
" Forget it ", says moving away from me. "I absolutely correct ..." mumbles down again wearing the shirt.
I shrugged and tried again to ask: "So, the ice cream you want it or not?"
withering gaze Lucien is worth a thousand words.
"OK. Then no ice cream ... "
*** a few days later in hospital ***
'Prepare all folders relating to Ms. Sanders, from his first intervention in 2005 until the death of yesterday , okay? "
" Okay, "I reply while I take notes in the hall.
"Then make sure the postoperative Tanaka ..." continues Fizz.
"Aha ..."
"And, please, make a thorough examination to Mr. Bober, room 22."
"And Mrs. Hausmann?"
"Ah ... No, I take care of Mrs. Hausmann I," Fizz hasty answers.
"But how, the head of the fellows that lowers to make a preoperative visit to an appendectomy?"
Fizz at me uncertainly.
"I discovered, Fizz! Would you feel that the bendidio Hausmann, eh? "
" Julian! "
"Ha ha! What a face! "
" Stop! "
" Y'know what? "I ask back seriously. "Yours is a very good idea: the Hausmann maddens me."
"Come on ..."
"No, no, it's true: if you find that a lesbian tell me, please."
"Hello Nicole! Hello Gene! ", Greets us Dubenko passed.
"Good morning Dr. Dubenko" "Good morning, Lucien," - we answer.
"Ah, Nicole, would you do me a favor?"
"Sure, tell me," I ask a few steps approaching him.
"I heard that the gym floor is almost ready and you could inform you of when it opens, please?"
"The gym? Ah ... sure, I ... I do now. "
" OK, thanks. Thank you! "He says as he goes up the stairs.
When Lucien is far enough I take a deep sigh and exclaimed: "I can not believe now it is fixed and wants to go to the gym!"
"It was set for what?" Asks Fizz scribbles absently while on a folder.
"I think I'm getting old and is convinced being fat! "
'Well, actually it is not young any more ... go to the gym will do nothing but good!"
"What?" to cry at that asshole Gin Fizz. "What nonsense you say ?!?!"
" Hey, c-calm ... ", defends himself by raising his hands.
"See that man is a thousand times better shape than you! But look! You have less hair on the head of my grandfather, Walter, and your stomach is ... ugh! You seem to have a Halloween pumpkin under his coat! "I reply cackling. "Instead Dubenko you have any chest you can not even dream of, two apples and boiled like marble! "I conclude with my blood went all over the brain.
"Halloween Pumpkin? But how do you think of? And then is this history that you must always defend Dubenko?! You're just a big-leccap "
" Do not even try! "I interrupt him pointing his index finger against his nose aquiline. "That man saved my life, you know! If it were not for him, a month ago I would have returned to Indiana and now I'd be on a farm milking sheep! I have to thank him, and he alone, if after the story with Tammy I'm definitely not the head, then, Fizz: I'm not a lick and you have a Halloween pumpkin instead of the belly! All clear? "
next week *** ***
" Asystole ", Sam cries while in the emergency room before.
"I go with the internal massage! Force, the plates! "Says Morris.
"What have you for me? Or is it too late? ", Asking anyone in particular.
"We have a heartbeat," announces a fellow I've ever seen around but I do not know the name.
"Then you made me fall for anything ..." comment getting close to the patient. "Of What is this? "I ask the fellow with long brown hair.
"rupture", he answers with a deadpan tone.
"You're bleeding!" Adds Morris agitated.
"Good. Then we begin, I say, as I put a hand in the patient's chest open.
"Throw your hands out of there!" Says Morris, "I can not do the massage!"
"Hey you", I ask the fellow next to me, completely ignoring the cries of Morris, "What's your name? "
" Jane Figler. "
" Well, Jane, give me quell'elastico you have in your hair. "
She stares at me without moving.
"Yes, your elastic!"
Without batting an eye, Jane pulls him away, undoing his ponytail, and handed it to me.
"What are you going to do?" Asks Morris. "
Enlarge elastic between the fingers and I do a bit 'of open space in the chest of the patient.
" Doctor, do not is sterile, "says Figler said almost worried.
" The infection will! "says Sam.
'Stop It' s my patient, do not you liberty! "Morris yelled.
without listening to anyone with a quick gesture pull the aorta, the bend at the point of tearing and squeeze the rubber band. After that," The important thing is to get it in Surgery , infections can be cured, "I say casually. Then I remove obstacles to the gurney and said," Morris, you continue to do the massage. Sam, calls and Surgery 'to prepare a room with the circulatory system outside! Let's go! " Finally I turn to Figler: "Good job." Then, on the threshold of the door, throwing a last glance of understanding. She stares at me with that which distinguishes indifferent and I feel particularly excited.
During the ascent in the elevator I can not help thinking about her: she has a particular way of doing so is a girl ... a little 'odd, but very interesting ... I wonder if you lesbian? We hope to be at least bisexual!
At the fourth floor, get out quickly in the corridor. There are meeting and nurse Shirley Fitz.
"I understand you correctly? A hair spray? "Are the first words of Gin Fizz.
"was the only way to stop the bleeding. At this hour would be the next world ", ignoring the look of disapproval comment Shirley. "Now it's all yours," cried mocking at the Fitz that if is leading the way to the operating room. 'm Like 'hello hello' with his hand and burst out laughing. But then I think about it: who knows, maybe I have overdone it this time ... Suddenly, the door of the stairs I check before my eyes with a feline leap the chief surgeon in person.
"Lucien!" He exclaimed.
"Oh, Nicole, good morning!"
"But ... what ... what did you do? You're all sweaty ... "
" I was so far out in the gym! What satisfaction ... I've seen how much fluid expelled? "Asks proud touching his shirt completely soaked with sweat.
"Um ... How about a refreshing shower?"
"But of course!" He exclaims happily going towards the changing rooms. "Here, how are you? Everything under control? "Asks turning on himself while walking.
"All right," motioning to say 'OK' with his hand, leaving aside any possible reference to my little invention of surgical few minutes ago.
***
I come home exhausted after a 18-hour shift, they are half past ten in the evening and the bus is half empty. I get off the bus, I do some step by North Page Avenue and entered the driveway. I cross the door by a big yawn and noisy, the ground floor is all dark, who knows, maybe they are all in bed. I go to the kitchen to find something to eat. With the light coming from outside my way to the refrigerator and open it. Let's see: eggs, milk, yogurt, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, asparagus, tomatoes, spinach, cinnamon bagels, cheese spreads, cheese, olives, Emmentaler, turkey salad made by yesterday, chicken breasts, filet of cod, tuna in brine, oranges, peaches ... Uff, full of stuff and I do nothing! Collapse dissatisfied with the door and I stand with my back to the fridge. "Oh God! What are you doing here in the dark!? "He exclaimed Lucien seeing sitting at the kitchen table. "I want to take a hit?!?"
"Sorry ..." he says softly.
turn on the light and sit across the table. "Lucien ... Hey ... what's up?"
shakes his head. "Nothing ..."
"Nothing? And nothing you'd be there all alone in the dark folded on the kitchen chair? Next, tell me what it is. "
Lucien looked at me and shakes his head. I reach
supporting arms on the table. "What happens to you, Lucien? Have you been a week all excited for this story of the gym, I saw you so happy ... And now instead? You have come your stuff? "
I scan the faces of Lucien and I see that paints a half smile.
"So?"
"It 's useless, Nicole," he mutters to his feet.
"The whole thing pointless? I do not understand. "
" The fitness, fat, thin ... crap like that. "
'Well, a few days ago do not accept the bullshit!" Comment getting up too.
Lucien shrugs. "As far as exercise can be done, Nicole, how many pounds can lose in two years will carry fifty. And this, nothing and nobody can change it. "
I look up to heaven. "Is that all? Do you have a midlife crisis? Next, Lucien! You are more than these crap, come on! "
" Goodnight, Nicole ", cut short time to exit the room.
I let it go, then I stand at the threshold and follow him with his eyes while climbing the stairs sadly. "'Night ..." he whispered. Then I draw a breath and go back to the kitchen. Idea! I'm going to open the door to the left of the cupboard and there it is ...: a bar of dark chocolate with 85% pure cocoa! Uhhh ...
> Dubenko \u0026lt;
I climb the stairs and I lock myself in the bathroom. I look in the mirror, and the first thing I notice is the hair are growing back look how it curls ... then I take off my T-shirt, sweat pants, socks, boxers, and slip in the shower.
I let the copious amounts of boiling water over his back, close my eyes and try to relax. It makes me a terrible doubt: what day is today?! I touch your left wrist, but the clock is not there. What day is it?!? Turn off water and open the shutter door of the shower. Completely soaked with water, I go running down the hall toward my room, sling room and shut the door violently behind me. trying to erase from his mind the fact that they just passed in the hall bathroom and - most importantly - completely naked, I look the clock: 20! Today is 20, damn it! And it is 23:54! In Italy are the ... quarter to seven. The invisible hand is a snap: 23.55. Uff ... I do? Another tic: 23:56. If I decide, will soon be 21 and have not be worth the trouble ... more Tic! 23:57 Now or never! I slip under the covers - someone could get in, you never know - and yet is drenching the mattress and the sheets, pick up the phone and dial the number. The 23:59, just in time!
"Hmm ... Hello? "
" Katherine, I am. "
" Lucien? What the ... "
" Hello, excuse the time, I know that it's seven ... "
" Hmm ... Well? "
" So ... Happy Birthday! "
" What? "I feel it move, it be sure turn over in bed, maybe you are pulling up down. "Call me at seven o'clock in the morning ... for me ...", stops to deliver a resounding yawn that I get directly from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean," excuse ... to greet me? "
" Actually, I also arrived late! But this has just struck midnight, if I want to forgive ... "
At the other end of the phone, Katherine is a moment in silence. Then answers: "Do you want to romp *? What do you get the jokes phone in the middle of the night? "
I burst out laughing.
"I'm glad, I hear you're having fun!" She says ironically.
"Come on, Kath, stop ..."
"No, no, stop you! I was doing a beautiful dream - Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in 'Interview with the Vampire', gave him the other night on TV - and you wake me up just to remind me that I am a decrepit old! The way you think? "
" ... OK, sorry. "
" No, come on, you joke ... sorry ... Indeed, thanks. "
For a moment it was surprised by its unexpected sweetness. "Please," I reply thus met.
"Changing the subject ..."
"From your old age?"
"Exactly. How are you? "
" Me? "
" Are not you depressed, do you? "
" ... "
" TRUE? "
" No ... "I reply unconvinced.
"Ugh ..."
"What's to snort?"
"You! I asked you not to bring you down, and instead feel that voice! "
" What voice? "
" Lucien, I know you, you are the type that is thrown down. But you have to feel comfortable e-"
" How do you feel comfortable? "
"No, I do not mean ch ..."
"You want me to ignore it?"
"No!"
"So!?"
"Oh, Lucien, you're an amazing stuff : to give advice to you is like kicking the wall! "
" Ha, Look Who's Talking! "
" Ugh ... Listen, I just want you to be comfortable. Just do not know what to do! "
" One way we would, "he says resolutely. He knows too: it must come back to me, by me and Mika, to be a family again, all three together.
"Lucien, I have to listen ... say something. "
" Yes ... d-tell. "
" Michael called me. "
" What? "I ask in a faint voice.
"I mean, I had called the day ... Well, you were out together one evening and he called me the next day ... ... And me ...", I feel swallowed by phone, "... told me your conversation ... well, what you told me that night. "
- flashback -
" I do not want no woman. Nothing but her. "
" She who? "
" Katherine. "
" Lucien, you have divorced fifteen years ago, she dumped you and you do not have most wanted, how much fucking time do you want to lose again?! You can not ruin my life for her! "
" No, Michael. I love you, Kath is the only woman I want. If it is a matter of time, I'll wait. "
" But if Katherine has had fifteen years of time and was never rebuilt alive! You're an idiot, Lucien! Why do you want to repeat the same mistake over and over? "
" There is an error, the Other women have been mistakes. "
" How can you be so sure you're doing the right thing? "
" What I feel inside: this can not be wrong. It can not. "
--- end flashback ---
A shiver runs along the back.
"Lucien, I thank you for your kind words and for your affection, but I ... I do not deserve this. I do not deserve it. "
" What do you mean, is not it! "
'It is true indeed. Do not match your feelings, Lucien, I-"
" Stop! "
" I'm not capable, I can not. "
" Katherine! "he exclaimed in exasperation.
"Please, forget it."
"NO! I'm not giving up, I will-"
" Please ... "
" Katherine, you-"
" Let me loose. "
" Katherine! "
-
" Katherine! Hello? "- That has happened, he hung up?
nervously Redial the number wrong in a couple of occasions to press the buttons. In the end I can not. ... It 's off: then he hung up on purpose ... There is a recorded message: ... she is not called upon to reach: please try again later. Thanks . I try not to fly into a rage: maybe you downloaded the phone? No, I know too well, in my opinion ... Please try later. Thank you. The person you called is not currently Ragg - hang up the phone with violence. The rise and remit furiously down several times. He hung up, damn it! Why is it so?!? Why?!?
> NICOLE \u0026lt;
As I climb the stairs began to feel a slight pain in abdomen: I've eaten too much chocolate? But no, it was just a finger ... And they say that chocolate is good, no? Arrival at the top of the stairs holding my hand on my tummy hurt Ohio ... Suddenly the door opens the room to Lucien and he appears in front of half-naked with only a sheet around his waist.
"Lucien!"
has a strange look in the eyes look angry, but happy ... and why is half naked? The midlife crisis make these jokes?!
"You know, Nicole", debuted well out of the blue, "it is strange, but sometimes a refusal can give you a lot more full of hope."
"... Eh?"
"I will not give, Nic . Rest assured that I will not. "
I look at him wrong. "You do not just tell me ... and then what are you doing around the house half naked?"
Lucien's face appears a smile. Not to mention a step toward me, give me a kiss on the cheek and, as usual, quiet trots to the bathroom. I raise my arm and, as stunned and touched my cheek with the hand. E 'boiling.
*** *** the next day in hospital
around the corridors of the ward constantly looking behind. I'm terrified to see him appear in every corner of the corridor. I am in total paranoia. Since yesterday evening. That kiss on the cheek ... He only covered with a sheet ... and that look! I can not get out of my head the feeling of his lips on my cheek! Oh my god oh my god oh my god ...
"Julian!" I
a start: he is!! - I will block and sit in the middle of the corridor, as if paralyzed.
"Hey, Julian, are you deaf? "
breathed a sigh of relief. "Fitz ... as you can think of these jokes make me?" I say turning back.
"What? What tricks? "
shake my head. "Forget it ... By the way, you know where Dubenko?"
"I know it's back in the gym, you know."
"Again?! Ok,, better that way. "I will ring the pager. "It 's emergency room, Fitz, I have to evaporate. See you later! "Exclaimed jumping to the elevators.
"Where do I go for a consultation?" I ask Jerry to acceptance.
"Box Four."
nod and quickly through the corridor, threw open the curtain and find myself in front of my favorite fellow Jane.
"Good morning, Dr. Figler."
"It'll be okay, right?" Asks the patient concerned.
"Sure, lady, relax," I reply while the belly button.
"The Tac?" I ask Jane.
"White blood cells are eleven two," he says running his plates. The
examine a few seconds and then announced: "The appendix slightly inflamed, not filled with oral contrast ... sounds like a principle of appendicitis! "
" Oh, no! I have to be made? "
" Do not worry, "reassured the patient places a hand on his arm," The removal by laparoscopy and tomorrow will already be home! The nurse will bring the agreement to be signed. "Then I turn to Jane:" Got a minute? "I ask you making them a nod.
Without a word, Jane four out of the box next to me: we are just next to the main counter, I support it with his elbow and asks: "Look, Jane, you want to take a break? How about some coffee? "
you, with his usual phlegm, take the time to respond, then he opens his mouth to say something, but ...
" Hey, Nicole! "- My hair stands on end all I'm thinkin ': Oh, no! E 'Lucien!
Here he is smiling at us. I do not know what to do: that embarrassment! And if it comes and kisses me again?! Oh my god oh my god ... I can not, I will not! At that moment I jumped to mind a crazy idea. Lucien is coming ... If I do not now ... now or never! I spun around to Jane, I pass a hand through his hair on his neck and pushing his approach to my face, then snapped a sound kiss on the lips. I do not want to know what Jane is thinking of me, I just want Lucien ... I understand that I can not stay with him! Why him ... he is a man!
With the corner of my eye I see Lucien go by quickly, do not look down. Rest a few seconds attached to the mouth of Jane - which among other things, has not moved a single muscle of his body in all this time - and then I moved away from her. I bite my lower lip and try to guess from his blank look what may be tried: he is happy? She is angry? E 'confused? E 'excited? I have not the faintest idea. I do strength and support him on the shoulder. "So you see, Jane," I say before you turn around and walk as if nothing had happened to the stairs.
*** ***
that evening for dinner tonight
Mika is not: it is by his girlfriend, Joy, and I'm here at the table alone with Lucien, who has not done one word in ten minutes. And I can not do the same, embarrassed to death for my scene this morning in the ER. Lucien spend another five minutes and gets up. "I'm sorry, Nicole, but I have to go finish a thing. They are there if you need study, says she went away. I remain thoughtfully to finish my dessert, then I get up and start clearing the table. Half an hour later
are in my room to walk back and forth while I ponder what to do: How do I explain to Lucien's why I did it? I wonder now how you feel ... I can not not talk to him, I feel guilty ... But what I say? And how do I tell? He is so sweet ... tender, sensitive ... How do I reject it again? I do not dare! Of course now, after the kissing scene with Jane should have realized ... I think about two more minutes and then I surrender: enough, I tell him, what will be will be.
Esco running from my room and throws down the stairs. Arriving at the door of the study panting.
"Hey, Nic, what happened?" I asked Lucien, raising his head from his papers.
"Can I talk?"
"Sure, come inside."
I make a step inside and I am standing in front of him. "Lucien, listen to what happened this morning ..."
Lucien squeezes his eyes, does not seem to understand.
"That thing that happened to the emergency room ..."
"Oh," exclaims settling his spectacles on his nose, "Well I saw ... 'What can I say, I'm happy for you, if you found someone you like .... "
" Yes, that's ... well ... the truth is that ... you know ... phew! "
" Come on, Nicole, you can talk quietly, you know, "he said folding his hands on lap. I
a deep breath and go: "Well, I'm with Jane. I this morning I kissed her, but it was the first time, and do not even know if she likes me! I do not even know if a lesbian! "
Lucien remains open mouth. ... But then ... why did you kiss her?"
Expiro weakly. "I did it for you, Lucien."
"For me?"
"Yes, well ... I do not want to give you false hope ... I know you do not want to surrender and that we still hope, but I do not ... I can not, well ..."
"I ... I hope so, "
" You told me you last night: you do not want to surrender, that my refusal gave you ... "
Lucien puts her hand over her mouth.
"... gave you the position ..." I see
struggling to hold back a laugh.
"What ... what ... I said something funny?"
"Oh, Nic ... What have you got it! "babbles and then bursts out laughing.
"But Ugh, why are you laughing?! I thought if you saw me with a woman you would understand! You know I want you, but I did not want-"
" haha! Ahahahaha! "- Now Lucien laughs heartily.
"... I did not want you to face another rejection, that is." I start with hands on hips, fed up with this situation. "So, I want to explain what's so funny?", I end up crying.
"Oh, Nic, I'm sorry ... but you've misunderstood!"
"Ah."
"I'm sorry, really! But I never imagined that you ... And then that evening I had gone completely melted! "
" But you kissed me! "
" Sorry, I was beside myself, I do not know why I did it ... "
" I did you take a shot! I thought you were infatuated with me again! You were practically naked and you kissed me, what I think? "
" I'm sorry, Nicole, "he repeated," Excuse me ... "
Eventually I give up. "OK, come on, let it go. Now it's gone. "
Lucien sulking and puts his hand on my shoulder. "Can you forgive me?"
I can not help smiling. "This time ..." Even
Lucien smiles, then after a few seconds back and tip his serious gray eyes on me. "I was referring to Katherine."
"How?"
"That evening, I was talking to Katherine."
"Ah ... your ex-wife?"
"Yes. And 'I was talking to her. E 'with you that I will not give up. You know, I thought about it, and I came to the conclusion that even if she does not want me now, even if she insists on rejecting them, I do not care, I'm not giving up. Enough with the depression, enough self-pity! Not I care if they are old, young, fat or thin: I've decided for her commitment to becoming the best person I can. "He pauses a moment to catch my breath, holding his right hand in a tight fist. "I want to be the best person I can for her. And she will notice it. Want to be an excellent surgeon, an excellent father, an excellent husband. The ambition and the will power I do not miss, Nicole. So, "concludes with a light in his eyes that I have rarely seen before," I'm not going to back down. I do not care how long it will last or what is important is that when she wants, I'll be ready. I'll be there for her. "
Suddenly I feel two tears run slowly down his cheeks. I feel their warmth and their moisture plow my face.
"Nic ... Hey, what's wrong?" Lucien asks me worried.
sniffed. "You're a wonderful person," he mumbled through her tears.
"What?" Whispered gently lift the chin with a finger.
"I said you're a person Meraglia!" He exclaimed.
"But you say ... I'm just a poor fool, I'm not at all,"
"I do not know if you're the best person in the world, Lucien, but for sure for sure ... you're the best person I've ever known! "I reply giving me about him and squeeze in a hug. Lucien himself to be embraced, then I stroked her hair and surrounds me with his strong arms and warm. I support my head on his chest, close my eyes and listen to the beats of silence in his heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment